Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2003 15:51:11
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> I was thinking more along the lines that /foo/bar/.. and /foo/bar refer
GAW> to the same directory (assuming /foo/bar isn't a mount point)

Really?

cd /var/tmp/..

Where are you now? :)

GAW> and of
GAW> course all directories have multiple hard links.  Of course you can't
GAW> normally/safely unlink() a directory, regardless of whether you refer to
GAW> it by its "true" name, or whether you refer to it by its ".." alias
GAW> name, but that's a slightly different issue [frmdir()?]  :-)

Well, yeah, of course; the point, though, which has been sidestepped here,
is that you can't use a dev-ino to come up with a unique name, even though
you can use a name to come up with a unique dev-ino pair.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Groovy Baby!