Subject: Re: fsync performance hit on 1.6.1
To: None <>
From: Kamal R Prasad <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2003 12:53:55
>  Using IPC shouldn't require kernel-like knowledge to address any more
> than one is required to know kernel-like things in order to call,
> e.g. open(2) or chdir(2).

>You absolutely do not need any "kernel-like" knowledge to understand or
>use SysV IPC mechanism.  If you think that is true then what you're
>probably missing is generic knowledge of interprocess communications
>techniques, as well as perhaps a general understanding of how various
>naming conventions are implemented.

Im not exactly a kernel guru (and unless you mean kernel data structures)-
I must say that using SysV IPC (or any other UNIX system calls) does
require a good knowledge of how things are implemented under the hood.
System calls (depending on sw and hw issues) have a finite
capacity/latency etc. which a product developer needs to understand to
take care of race conditions, scalability etc..

                                                 Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>; <>
Planix, Inc. <>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird