Subject: Real Time NetBSD & Assembly [Re: how to detect if kernel is running
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Thigpen <sthigpen@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/07/2003 08:56:49
> > In linux, there is a macro called in_interrupt which can tell if the
> > kernel is running in interrupt(including hardware or software) or not
> > because linux changes some flags when in or out of the interrupt. Is
> > there any same facility in netbsd?
>
> No, I don't think there is.

I have seen several threads on real time NetBSD.  The ucr supplement with
assembly code for the O'Reilly Book Programming Linux Device Drivers is
pretty good.  With the advent of NASM, and other mature assemblers, I was
wondering about this approach for writing real time device drivers.  A real
time kernel is needed as well, of course.  The base RTAI Linux code
doesn't look too huge, though it may need a lot of modifications for use
with NetBSD.

Sam.

SA Thigpen    KL1FE    http://sthigpen.freeshell.org