Subject: Re: USB CD-Writer shows up as CD-ROM only
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Joseph Dunn <joseph@toxic.magnesium.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2003 14:40:13
Manuel Bouyer (bouyer@antioche.eu.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 04:30:49PM -0700, joseph@magnesium.net wrote:
> > > Can you post the dmesg and output of 'scsictl cd0 identify' (assuming
> > > it's probed as cd0) ?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> > >      NetBSD: 24 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> > > --
> >
> > Sure. The relevant lines from dmesg are:
> >
> > umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
> > umass0: IMATION IMATION RIPGO!, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
> > umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> > scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
> > scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> > cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IMATION, RIPGO!, 1.11> SCSI0 5/cdrom
> > removable
> > cd0: no disk label
> >
> > and "scsictl cd0 identify" gave this output:
> >
> > /dev/rcd0d: scsibus0 target 1 lun 0 <IMATION, RIPGO!, 1.11>
> >
> > I can mount CD's and read them perfectly in this drive, by the way. I'm
> > not sure if I mentioned that in my previous post.
>
> OK, so at last we can talk properly to it.
> What does 'cdrecord -v -checkdrive dev=/dev/rcd0d' say about it ?
> I suspect it's just that cdrecord doesn't know about this device.
> Maybe try the driver option for force a driver in cdrecord (driver=help
> to have a list of drivers; I would try mmc_cdr first)

Yes. Actually, I got it working a few days ago, using mmc_cdr. It has a
quirk in that it requires a written disc to be in the drive when I start
cdrecord, which complains that the drive needs its media reloaded. I then
insert a blank disk, hit return, and it writes perfectly. If I don't do
this, I get cdrecord reporting that the drive is only a reader.

Thanks for your help,

Joseph