Subject: Re: microkernels
To: Nathan Langford <>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/02/2003 17:51:21
Nathan Langford <> writes:

> In college, there was a lot of talk about microkernels being
> ideologically superior to traditional monolithic kernels, but
> everything I've read about real-world implementations seems to point
> to problems with message passing inefficiencies.

This reminds me of what Dave Presotto, one of the core people behind
the Plan 9 operating system (at Bell Labs) said, when he was asked why
Plan 9 wasn't microkernel based:

"Because you need a brain the size of a planet to design a microkernel
based system, and we only have egos that big."

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901