Subject: Re: USB CD-Writer shows up as CD-ROM only
To: None <>
From: Frederick Bruckman <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/2003 18:47:09
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 wrote:

> > Can you post the dmesg and output of 'scsictl cd0 identify' (assuming
> > it's probed as cd0) ?
> >
> > Manuel Bouyer <>
> >      NetBSD: 24 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference

> umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass0: IMATION IMATION RIPGO!, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IMATION, RIPGO!, 1.11> SCSI0 5/cdrom
> removable
> cd0: no disk label

That "cdrom" doesn't mean anything. (The message text obviously
predates the popularity of inexpensive burners.) Here's one that
works fine with "cdrdao", using either the "generic-mmc", or the
"generic-mmc-raw" driver:

atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1: 2 targets
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <LITE-ON LTR-52246S, , 6S0C> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33)

I'm burning VCD's and SVCD's. To make it work transparently I have:

# cat ~/.cdrdao:

#grep 52246 /u/fredb/.cdrdao-drivers

"cdrdao" was also able to write to a borrowed USB drive on the same
host. You might have to do some similiar magic for "cdrecord" -- or
just try "cdrdao" (from pkgsrc).