Subject: re: alternate rough SA patch (works on SMP)
To: Stephan Uphoff <ups@stups.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/2003 13:22:41

   Christian Limpach wrote:
   > Quoting Stephan Uphoff <ups@stups.com>:
   >
   > > > The cpu-queue wins over the
   > > > global queue if both have lwp's at the same priority.
   > > This can theoretically cause starvation of LWPs on the global queue.
   >
   > won't these get rescheduled at a higher priority eventually

   Yes.
   However I can create strange scenarios where there would always be
   SA LWPs around with the best priority. (Even without resorting to nice)
   LWPs in the global queue would never get a chance.
   This is why I used the "theoretically" qualifier ;-)

FWIW, with christian's patch i had semi-regular hangs when using
multiple SA-using processes....

i haven't tried stephan's latest incremental patch, but the previous
update appears to have made 'xmms' unstable.  it's crashed a number
of times, the latest just a moment ago after it had run for only a
couple of minutes...  i will be trying the update shortly (the box
has been busy...)

.mrg.