Subject: USB CD-Writer shows up as CD-ROM only
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Dunn <joseph@magnesium.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/2003 09:26:48
--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

Hi all,

I have a USB CD-Writer (an Imation RipGO) which works quite well
under NetBSD 1.6.1 as a reader. The manual claims that it uses a
'standard interface', and that operating systems such as Win XP
can utilize it as a writer with no special drivers. When I attempt
to write CD's with it, using cdrecord, I am informed that the drive
is only a CD reader, not a writer. I've tried useing the --force
with cdrecord, but with no success. Is there any way I can force
NetBSD to see the drive as (or report it to be) a CD writer? I'm
all for hacking a few kernel source files, as long as it's nothing
complicated.

Regards,

Joseph Dunn

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ