Subject: Re: BAT
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/2003 02:25:20
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:14:56AM +0200, pancake wrote:
> Hi, I'm testing the BAT (BSD airtools), and I think that could be
> interesting to take their patches and put them into the default kernel,
> also the patch for wiconfig.
>
> Why don't think a way to implement this to the kernel and get advance
> on wireless camp?.

  I think that BAT and NetBSD need to meet in the middle.

  NetBSD, for its part, should introduce a hardware-independent 802.11
  radio header. I know that there is already a radio header for Linux,
  but it is (IMHO) thoughtlessly designed and hardware-dependent. I
  think that the use of length-type-value (LTV) tuples is appropriate.

  BAT should use the new hw-independent 802.11 radio header.  BAT also
  needs to use the 'monitor' 802.11 media type which NetBSD and FreeBSD
  use to select RF monitor mode. This is the API which radios new and
  old will support---wi, awi, an, ath (Atheros), atw (ADMtek).

Dave