Subject: Re: Is this kernel fault OK?
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/2003 10:33:50
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" wrote:

> Odd question I guess but here is the situation.  I thought that it was time to
> bump the home system (i386) up to -current from -current 1.6Q Mar 22/03.  I
> built and installed a new kernel with today's sources and got the following
> message (as read from the screen by my wife over the phone to me.)
>
> syslogd:unknown property name 'local0'
> kernel page fault trap code = 0
> stop at NetBSD:syn_cache_get+0x308:movl0(%edx),%ecx
> db>
>
> Now, I wonder if I should be concerned about this or will it be fixed if I
> build the userland programs.  Oddly enough, this version is running elsewhere
> with no problems on a system that we couldn't keep up for 30 minutes under
> 1.6.1.  We updated the kernel there so that we could use a different SCSI
> controller so we suspect that there was a hardware issue on that one.,
>
> I'm not sure what to do here.  I understood that it was generally safe to
> update the kernel without updating the rest of the system.  Hopefully that's
> still true and this is an anomaly.

My first thought is "is it really truly syslogd?"  It's not obvious from
above whether or not the syslogd message was immediately before the
trap or some time earlier in the past.  Is it reproducable?  If so, how
stable is the box without syslogd running?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/