Subject: Is this kernel fault OK?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2003 12:39:38
Odd question I guess but here is the situation.  I thought that it was time to
bump the home system (i386) up to -current from -current 1.6Q Mar 22/03.  I
built and installed a new kernel with today's sources and got the following
message (as read from the screen by my wife over the phone to me.)

syslogd:unknown property name 'local0'
kernel page fault trap code = 0
stop at NetBSD:syn_cache_get+0x308:movl0(%edx),%ecx
db>

Now, I wonder if I should be concerned about this or will it be fixed if I
build the userland programs.  Oddly enough, this version is running elsewhere
with no problems on a system that we couldn't keep up for 30 minutes under
1.6.1.  We updated the kernel there so that we could use a different SCSI
controller so we suspect that there was a hardware issue on that one.,

I'm not sure what to do here.  I understood that it was generally safe to
update the kernel without updating the rest of the system.  Hopefully that's
still true and this is an anomaly.

Thanks.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>