Subject: Re: config(8) and defopt
To: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2003 09:44:42
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ian Fry wrote:

: But, this hasn't always been true. In the past, your config vintage (to
: use your terminology :) ) had to be 'at least as new as' your kernel
: source vintage - the old instructions for building a new kernel included
: updating config.

Well, the 1.6 branch has progressed on its own road that is divergent from
-current, so technically, compiling a 1.6.1_STABLE kernel means "updating"
config(8) to the version on the branch.

That much said, however, it's important to note that the "syssrc" alias (and
the "syssrc.tgz" tarballs) include not only src/sys, but also
src/usr.sbin/config because they're supposed to go together as a pair.
Fortunately, config(8) is small and can be built trivially.

: Maybe I'm just being too optimistic when I try to use -current tools to
: configure/build 1.6.x kernels (as pretty much all the rest of the
: toolchain is currently the same).

-current is presumably getting a gcc3 overhaul in the coming months, which
will invalidate the major part of the toolchain for this purpose too.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>