Subject: Re: config(8) and defopt
To: None <>
From: Ian Fry <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2003 14:35:21
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:17:22AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ian Fry wrote:
> : Wouldn't this prevent a config built from -current from being able to
> : configure a kernel from, say, the 1.6 branch?
> Your config(8) vintage is supposed to match the kernel source vintage.
> So this is a non-issue.

But, this hasn't always been true. In the past, your config vintage (to
use your terminology :) ) had to be 'at least as new as' your kernel
source vintage - the old instructions for building a new kernel included
updating config. So, in the past, config has had to be able to support
older source. Admittedly, nowadays, with and the new toolchain
stuff, it's less of a problem as you can have a set of tools setup for
each source tree you build. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic when I try
to use -current tools to configure/build 1.6.x kernels (as pretty much all
the rest of the toolchain is currently the same).