Subject: Re: config(8) and defopt
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2003 14:35:21
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:17:22AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Ian Fry wrote:
> : Wouldn't this prevent a config built from -current from being able to
> : configure a kernel from, say, the 1.6 branch?
> Your config(8) vintage is supposed to match the kernel source vintage.
> So this is a non-issue.

But, this hasn't always been true. In the past, your config vintage (to
use your terminology :) ) had to be 'at least as new as' your kernel
source vintage - the old instructions for building a new kernel included
updating config. So, in the past, config has had to be able to support
older source. Admittedly, nowadays, with build.sh and the new toolchain
stuff, it's less of a problem as you can have a set of tools setup for
each source tree you build. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic when I try
to use -current tools to configure/build 1.6.x kernels (as pretty much all
the rest of the toolchain is currently the same).

Ian.