Subject: Re: Trailing '/' to mkdir(2) revisited
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2003 02:54:40
    Date:        Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com>

  | Early *BSD kernels were based on the Sixth Edition.

What nonsense.

  | As I recall even 3.9BSD still had a distinctly V6-feel in userland as well,

What is 3.9 BSD ?

The BSD kernels (which started at 3BSD) were based upon 32V, which was
a 7th edition derivative.   The difference is easy to spot, 7th edition
had stdio, earlier unix distributions did not.   (Also with Bourne shell,
and lots more).

1BSD and 2BSD (the 2BSD that preceded 3BSD) did not include kernels,
they were userland add-ons for 6th edition (there may have been some
drivers, or kernel mods, but they were not complete systems).

Later versions of 2BSD (2.xBSD) for the PDP-11 were v7 based, with a
healthy dose of 4BSD thrown in.

kre