Subject: Re: (vm.filemax issue) -- Re: UBC on a no swap system
To: None <Davef1624@aol.com>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2003 09:33:20
hi,

the "max" and "min" in these tunables are referring to the maximum and
minimum amount of memory that will be taken from other uses for the
use in question.  so "vm.filemax" is only an upper limit on memory used
for file caching if there is another demand for the memory.  if additional
memory past "vm.filemax" is sitting around unused, it will be used for
caching file data until system memory usage changes and there is a demand
for it somewhere else.

-Chuck