Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/20/2003 19:59:22
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:59:19PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> The pthread library has a number of debugging options.

It does?

> There is a debug log that you can run a dmesg-like program on to get
> pretty detailed information on every action the library takes.

There is?

> There are also various application debugging options

There are?

Is this stuff documented anywhere? It's not fair to expect us to send
detailed debug logs if we don't know that it's even possible to get
detailed debug logs. AFAICT, there is no pthread(3) manpage, and none
of the manpages for the individual libpthread functions mention
anything about those debug options.

The only thing I remember that's vaguely related to the application
debugging options you mention was a post on current-users about an
environment variable that controls whether libpthread aborts or
continues on application errors it detects.

So, how about posting the details about these debug options you
mention?

FWIW, pthreads have been working okay for me since the last batch of
fixes were made a few weeks ago. The only problem I've seen is that
ogg123 from the audio/vorbis-tools package aborts with an error about
unlocking an unlocked mutex after playing a file (which makes it
impossible to pass a list of files and have it play them all). I
suspect it's a bug in ogg123, but I haven't had a chance to look at it
yet. However, I haven't had much time to play with -current; perhaps
I'd see more problems if I used it more.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++