Subject: Re: MAXPARTITIONS (kern/18256)
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2003 07:49:26
> > exactly how else do you make this change without being kludgy?  the
> > i386 method seems useful to me - i do believe 1 or 2 other ports
> > have copied that change...
> Get us a devfs.

On recent Linux systems they have such a thing. It's a pain when you are
not aware of it: you crawl in single user, looking for a way to remount
the root R/W, and you spend half an hour looking for the root partition

Once you know you have to start a service, that's ok, but it seems to me
that it introduce one more point of failure in the boot process. I hope
we will be able to keep some vital devs always available on the root
partition if we implement it some day.

Emmanuel Dreyfus