Subject: Re: How do I supress/shrink VM Page Cache for large files?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/13/2003 05:44:45
>> If you will *never* read it, I have to ask, why bother writing it?
> Obviously its for logging as the poster said.

Yes, but why bother writing logs that will never be read?

(Actually, I got an off-list explanation: it _will_ be read, just not
until much later, and then only to copy it off-machine.)

My next question: are you sure you need to?  It's been a while since I
worked with -current, but when I last did (mid-2002), it behaved as
described - but the "duplicate" memory was reclaimed instantly as soon
as anyone else wanted memory and there was none free.  After all, why
not cache it until someone wants the pages?  Doesn't hurt anything, as
long as you keep enough records to know the page can be thrown away
instantly as soon as anyone wants it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign