Subject: pckbc_cnattach vs. KBC_SELFTEST
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/09/2003 16:08:49
Hi, folks.

While working on wscons support for the netwinder port I encountered
weird behaviour - keyboard works if console is on the serial, but it
doesn't if the keyboard is the console keyboard.  After some
experimentation I figured that pckbc in netwidner refuses to talk
until after it has been issued a KBC_SELFTEST.  Since pckbc_isa_attach
issues it for the non-console keyboard - it works, but pckbc_cnattach
doesn't issue the KBC_SELFTEST (there's a comment /* selftest? */,
though) - and so in this case the keyboard doesn't work.

I plan to add the KBC_SELTEST to the pckbc_cnattach, but since this
driver is used by so many ports, what will be the best course of action:

. add as an option with the default to not selftest
. add as an option with the default to do selftest
. just add it unconditionally

Ideas?

SY, Uwe