Subject: Re: default vnodes in the system
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2003 08:04:01
hi,

this is a fine short-term change, I bump it up to about 1.5% myself
(which is really 3.8% if you count the FFS inode with each vnode).
we should check that this doesn't cause trouble for really small-memory
configurations, but otherwise it should be fine.

in the longer term I think we want to move to a scheme where the
number of vnodes can grow and shrink with usage (within some bounds),
generally making vnodes compete for memory more dynamically than they
do right now.  this will probably be tricky to get right, though.

-Chuck