Subject: Re: ddb dmesg change
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/29/2003 09:28:16
>> > there are pipes and tail in ddb?  wow!  :-)
>> Ooops - need to read the mail properly :-)
>> Actually is it worth doing a count of lines (ie scan back counting
>> newline characters) rather than a byte count?
>Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort (at least _my_ effort
>:-). It would pretty mean a total re-write of the db_dmesg() function,
>anding more complexity.

indeed.  simon's main point was "i don't want to see (and have to
scroll through) the whole thing, just the last <chunk>."

being able to specify "oh...gimme the last 1000 bytes or so because
that'll be about a screenful" is perfectly reasonable.  i can't think
of a case where you'd want (or need?) it to print the last seven lines