Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2003 02:01:28
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 03:15:05PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Greywolf said:
>
> >Greywolf:  If /var is separate from /, / can probably survive at 64MB rather
> >	nicely, with /var at 128MB, give or take, depending on logging, mail
> >	and such.  It just doesn't make sense to have a 1GB root partition,
> >	and that doesn't even take into account the dolts who allocate an
> >	entire 120GB disk to the root filesystem.  No, I will not recant
> >	that statement, unless someone wishes to show that Systems
> >	Administration is extremely overrated...
>
> These days I use 100MB for / and about 300MB for /var. The largest drives
> that I have here are 18 gig SCSI (I believe that IDE drives are throwaway
> junk). I have one system with 512MB of memory, everything else is smaller.
> I have never used an mfs /tmp.

What I'm using right now:
Filesystem    Size     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a     1.0G      38M      920M     3%    /
/dev/wd0e     2.0G      60M      1.8G     3%    /var
/dev/wd0g     9.8G     2.5G      6.9G    26%    /usr
/dev/wd0f     1.0G     8.0K      958M     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0h      20G     3.5G       15G    18%    /home
/dev/wd0i      59G      56G      2.7G    95%    /media
/dev/wd0j      16G     2.3G       13G    14%    /misc
/dev/wd1a      19G      10G      7.5G    57%    /disk2

obviously, I should have partitioned more carefully. / and /var are barely
being touched, /tmp sure isn't, etc. This box has 384MB ram, I've used a mfs
/tmp, but found that it reduced performance instead of enhancing it, because
it sucked memory and caused swappage that otherwise would have happened
later.
I believe IDE is junk as well, but I can't afford good SCSI at this point,
so I go with what I have.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII