Subject: Re: FASTTRAK100 woes (Was: 3ware escalade install problem)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2003 05:53:45
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:40:49PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> This is *not* hardware raid. The OS has to do it. This is just a
> standart pciide controller from hardware point of wiew.
> The BIOS has some raid capabilities, but the OS has to handle it once it
> takes over the BIOS.

I will believe that!  Even if it's not quite the way it was presented
to me.

Does that mean that (a) I have to learn about RAIDframe to match
the features of the controller and (b) as David Laight suggests,
there's no way to boot from the actual RAID device (reliably?  It
does get some of the way, seemingly).

Alternatively, do I just scrap the idea altogether until I can
afford equipment to test on?  I'll probably have to do that anyway,
because there isn't enough room in the chassis for a boot drive,
unless I resort to PXE and/or diskless booting (if I ever figure
that bit out :-)

++L