Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 17:50:07
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:39:02PM -0700, Brian Chase wrote:
> It's not always about long filesystem checks.  It's not impossible for
> data being stored under /var to fill up an entire filesytem.  This tends
> to cause a lot fewer problems when that filesystem happens to be "/var"
> instead of "/".  For most desktop systems, this is probably not so much
> of a problem, but for important servers, it can be a very big one.

While this is a concern, I'm not sure it's a concern for the default
suggestions given by sysinst.  The installer should allow for different
configurations since no one configuration will fit all needs.  There's
a good argument, though, that the defaults should be reasonable for the
widest class of users--whatever that is.

I'm not sure tech-kern is the right place for this.

Pax,
-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/