Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: Wojciech Puchar <>
From: Brian Chase <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 14:39:02
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I was also considering making '/' at least 1/10th of the disk.
> > That will give some space for /var and /tmp - I've had too much trouble
> > with vi running out of space in /var/tmp when editing file of only a few
> > 10's of MB...
> what about making just 2 partition?
> / and swap
> Time to get rid of strange tradition where systems and disks was failing
> often, checking partition was very long etc..

It's not always about long filesystem checks.  It's not impossible for
data being stored under /var to fill up an entire filesytem.  This tends
to cause a lot fewer problems when that filesystem happens to be "/var"
instead of "/".  For most desktop systems, this is probably not so much
of a problem, but for important servers, it can be a very big one.