Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 06:27:01
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:52:25AM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > 	The only concern is on systems with boot block limitations -
> > 	such as old i386 machines with cylinder and some vaxen with
> > 	2GB limitations.
>
> On i386 sysinst can tell whether the disk claims to support LBA reads,
> so could limit '/' to the bottom 8GB if it doesn't.
> (I don't think it is necessary to worry about the cases where the
> disk bios lies...)

What I would really love to see in sysinst is the same level of
functionality regarding partitioning that you see in FreeBSD
/stand/sysinstall. I switched from FreeBSD back in 2000, and that is the one
thing I miss most. Compared to how easy it was to add a disk or install to
multiple partitions on multiple disks on FreeBSD, NetBSD is in the stone
age. Doing an fdisk/disklabel by hand isn't hard for advanced users, but for
a novice who wants to partition a new disk, I imagine it's quite a PITA.

Ideally, IMHO, this would be a seperate tool invoked from sysinst, so that
it can be used on an already-setup system that one just tossed a new drive
in, etc etc.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII