Subject: Re: FASTTRAK100 woes (Was: 3ware escalade install problem)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 12:18:42
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:54:23AM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> [ ... ] I have
> a suspicion that drive selection is going wrong, so I'm now mirroring
> what I hope is the drive I originally installed to (note, it ought
> to have installed to both and it certainly didn't) to the other
> one, to see if somehow it makes a difference.

One more data point.  Having ostensibly successfully installed the
NetBSD software, failed to boot (read-only devices and an unexpected
/etc/fstab), I forced mirroring once again, from what I believe
was the correct destination drive (I am intentionally repeating
what I have already stated because I often phrase things unclearly).

The booting process now halts at the:

	Configuring network interface: fxp0

which I presume is followed by the actual mount operation.

What is still visible on the screen, which I think may be significant,
is

	Kernelized RAIDframe activated
	warning: double match for boot device (wd0, wd1)
	boot device: wd0

Sadly, there isn't much I can do at this point, I suspect the drives
are not readable under NetBSD, so posting a boot report is unlikely.

I have no idea what to expect, but I am puzzled by the two drives
that are meant to be connected by hardware RAID(1? - mirroring)
being presented as individual devices _and_ the installation somehow
being able to operate on a single drive.  Somehow, I thought the
hardware would disguise the drives as a single device.  I get the
same unexpected behaviour if I set up striping (RAID 0?).

++L