Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 10:33:01
	I seem to agree with the swap consensus, (other than to comment
	that RAM + a few MB is probably a good goal to reduce the chance
	of early swap usage damaging a crashdump, and adding large
	quantities of swap can badly affect low memory systems due to all
	the RAM used in managing the swap), so I'll move onto the '/'
	debate :)

On Mon, 19 May 2003, David Laight wrote:

> I was also considering making '/' at least 1/10th of the disk.
> That will give some space for /var and /tmp - I've had too much trouble
> with vi running out of space in /var/tmp when editing file of only a few
> 10's of MB...

	The main problem is we have a separate /usr but not a separate
	/var. If we have to have one or the other it should be /var.

	For 'normal workstation' builds it may make more sense to default
	to one large partition, and provide a 'server' partitioning
	scheme that has separate /usr and /var.

	The only concern is on systems with boot block limitations -
	such as old i386 machines with cylinder and some vaxen with
	2GB limitations.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --