Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 09:35:58
> >I was also considering making '/' at least 1/10th of the disk.
> >That will give some space for /var and /tmp - I've had too much trouble
> >with vi running out of space in /var/tmp when editing file of only a few
> >10's of MB...
>
> yeah -quite common to see that happen. a seteuid(0) program which gets
> called to clean up /var/tmp when this state is reached will also suffice.

Not when all the space is used up by the temporary file for a single edit.
(You might say this serves me right for editing two copies of the
disassembled image of an embedded system that included an X stack and
a JVM)

Also randomly deleting files from /tmp or /var/tmp isn't necessarily
a good idea.
- The file might actually be important
- If the file is open the space allocated to it can not be recovered
  (even if the file isn't important)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk