Subject: Re: DLT1 (SCSI) tape drive
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/2003 07:29:26
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:14:02PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> Just a data point..  I've been using different models of DLT drives on
> pmax, alpha and i386 for years.  pmaxen have a built-in SCSI controller,
> and I've used an Adaptec 1542 ISA SCSI card on the Alpha and a no-name
> NCR PCI SCSI card on alpha and i386.
>
> As Matthew Jacob suggested, sounds like a controller issue.

I think some sort of workaround would give me a breather and an
opportunity to dig deeper.  I have an immediate problem and I'd
like it to go away while I look for a proper solution.  I don't
know nearly enough about SCSI, I'd hazard saying that I know the
NetBSD kernel more intimately than the SCSI bus, although that
would not be saying much.

I note a parallel discussion here involving tagged queuing and I
wonder if perhaps I could suppress it in some fashion and at least
alleviate the problem.  I don't think performance is a big issue
at this point.  But I may well be overshooting my mouth out of
ignorance.  Pointers to man pages and/or kernel sources are welcome.

Again, if there is additional information I can provide, I'll be
happy to do so and, subject to management approval, I believe we
could even arrange a moderate (our currency is recovering but still
low valued) reward for the support we require.

++L

++L