Subject: Re: is there an sshfs for NetBSD ?
To: None <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/14/2003 01:10:48
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:41:46AM +0530, Kamal R Prasad wrote:
> re:- Thor,
> permissions have nothing to do with the encryption mechanism. the binary
> is stored on flashdisk as an encrypted file. when the pagedaemon reads in
> a text page from the binary, it is decrypted inside the kernel. so without
> knowing the decryption key, the binary is just not usable on another
> kernel.

So, how exactly do you propose that I would bypass the filesystem
permissions -- which are enforced by the kernel, which has only a
single domain of protection -- without *also* being in a position to
obtain any useful data the kernel might have, such as, dare I ask,
an encryption key?

The only reasonable suggestion I've seen from anyone in this thread
has involved removable media; is that the entire problem this baroque
mechanism is intended to solve?

 Thor Lancelot Simon