Subject: Re: Layered file system issues - please report
To: Sean Davis <>
From: Aidan Kehoe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/2003 08:40:39
 Ar an 11ú lá de mí 5, scríobh Sean Davis :

 > I noticed something when having my source tree union mounted: even though
 > the source tree itself (ie the real files/directories under the union mount)
 > were all owned by dive, dive could not create files in directories on the
 > union mount. I didn't investigate it much further because I didn't feel like
 > having to su to root every time I wanted to stick a file somewhere.

I think that may depend on who does the mounting. I do

  # /sbin/sysctl -w vfs.generic.usermounts=1
  # suspend

  zsh: suspended (signal)  su
  ~ > /sbin/mount -t union -o -b /Sources/xc.orig /Sources/xc
  ~ >

where xc.orig is the unmodified source tree; I can write to /Sources/xc and
below fine.

"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few
complacent asses on usenet." -- T. Samant, 29 June 1997