Subject: Re: is there an sshfs for NetBSD ?
To: BokLM <boklm@mars-attacks.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/07/2003 13:55:11
On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 06:02:55PM +0200, BokLM wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I would like to know if something like an sshfs (to mount a remote file
> system using ssh) aldready exists in NetBSD. I think this can be pretty
> usefull sometimes ...

This seems like a rather bad idea to me, really.  Something equivalent
can be trivially built from any of several sets of tools that are already
publically available; the most elegant way is probably to use NFS or SMB
over IPsec ESP, though really any sort of IP tunnel will work fine.

I did like the suggestion of creating an ALSA compatibility layer.  That
is probably a manageable summer project and would be very useful.

Another interesting idea would be to improve multichannel support in our
sound system in general.  It should be possibly not only to support sound
cards that offer more than two channels, but also to bond channel providers
together into composite devices -- so, for instance, I could use three
Griffin iMic USB audio widgets to do 5.1 output to my amplifier.  Just a
thought; the mention of ALSA reminded me that there are a number of small
ways in which our sound subsystem could use some work...

Thor