Subject: Additional kernel keyboard maps
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/03/2003 10:56:54

> We don't add any additional keyboard maps into kernel.

While for sure all maps need to be available as userland maps, I don't like
the "no additional ones inside the kernel" dogma.

They are all optional, they don't get in there with GENERIC or INSTALL kernels,
so generally they do no harm. They add one more place to keep up to date, but
does anyone remember when some keymap changed the last time?

I'm pretty glad my keyboard maps are there already, and for sure I use them
in every single (non-headless) kernel I build. So when I'm in ddb I don't have
to type the wrong keys.

Everyone using a keyboard with US layout please stay out of the discussion ;-)

Martin