Subject: Re: probe()
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/29/2003 05:55:52

Kamal R. Prasad
AIX Support & Test, IBM India Software Labs
Golden Enclave, Airport Road, Bangalore-560017, India
Phone : +91-80-5094963,  Internal Ext   : 2963

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:43:13AM +0100, Kamal R Prasad wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand your question properly.

The answer you have given below suffices.

>In most of our PCI drivers, the probe function is called xxx_match(), and
>the argument isn't a handle_t (there are 3 arguments, and the one
describing
>the current card is a pci_attach_args).

I was refering to Digital Unix terminology which names the equivalent of
match() as probe(). I believe some other Unix'es also refer to it as probe
().

>For each PCI cards, the kernel call all the match functions, and choose
the
>driver which returned the hightest value.

ah -that explains.
thanks
-kamal

--