Subject: Re: bktr and the TDA9821 audio chip
To: Falk <richterf@uta1002.at>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2003 22:39:55
On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:10:44PM +0000, Falk wrote:
> I have a TV-card (Tvion - similar to the Lifeview Flyvideo) with a Bt878 chip
> for video and a TDA9821 chip for the stereo audio function. (On other
> tv-cards is a MSP34xx chip used for it.) The kernel finds the video chip
> (function 0) but he can't configure the audio function (1).

function 1 is usually the audio digitizer, if I'm not mistaken.
If you don't hear sound it's probably not the cause; more likely the tuner
is not recognized correctly.

Which NetBSD version are you using, and what exactly does ``dmesg | grep bktr''
give?

> Does exist any possiblitiy to bring this kind of sound chip to work under
> NetBSD?

bktr(4) says:
     options BKTR_OVERRIDE_CARD=n
     If the card is not recognized correctly by the auto-detection routine, it
     can be overridden by setting this option to the appropriate value.  The
     following values are allowed:
     1   Pinnacle (Miro) TV,
[...]
     10  FlyVideo,
[...]

You might want to try that.

Other than that, you'll have to write support for the tuner, perhaps look at the
Linux bttv driver (not sure if it's supported there, though).

Cheers,
 Thomas