Subject: Re: kernel compilation using gcc 3.2.2 - supposed to work?
To: theo borm <theo4490@borm.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2003 14:52:28
On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 02:07  PM, theo borm wrote:

> I've just compiled a stock NetBSD 1.6 - GENERIC kernel using gcc 3.2.2.
> After fixing three minor problems compilation succeeds. The kernel
> seems
> to work and seems to be stable (no thorough testing though, just
> running
> Mozilla and typing this mail).
> As I've heard rumours about problems I'm not entirely sure whether to
> trust
> this kernel.
> Is it prudent to revert to 2.95.2 for kernel compilation, or should
> 3.2.2 be fine?

The fact that you had to modify the kernel sources to compile with
3.2.x is part of the problem ... GCC 3.3 has been modified to play nice
with some of the constructs used in the NetBSD kernel.

But if your kernel works, then use it... but I would not call building
the kernel with 3.2.x to be "supported".

Compiling the kernel with 3.3 will be a supported option, however.