Subject: Re: swap on cgd(4)
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2003 17:07:08
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>Actually, it will cause random lossage with, at least, ccd, because the
>partition in question will include the protected label area.  FFS knows
>how to never write to that area (and thus never generate I/O errors);
>maybe the swap code does, too, I don't know.  Does cgd?  More importantly,
>should it have to?  I think the label generated as you suggest should skip
>over the protected piece at the front of the disk, and include everything
>_else_.

Sure.  cgd has the same basic operation as ccd w.r.t. disklabels.
If you use RAW_PART then you do not have to worry about it, though.
So, if you want to newfs RAW_PART or use it for swap it will let
you ignore the fact that the disk could be labeled.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/