Subject: RE: memory disk, evbarm - lubbock
To: Stewart Heitmann <S.Heitmann@lake.com>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/2003 08:48:05
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Stewart Heitmann wrote:

> By upping KERNEL_PT_KERNEL_NUM to 8 I have managed to boot
> a kernel with enough space for a 8192K memory disk, which
> was better than before. But if I try for a bigger memory
> disk then /sbin/init exits with signal 11,
> although the kernel seems quite happy.
> Further increasing KERNEL_PT_KERNEL_NUM doesnt help.

That's because you're spilling over into the managed KVM region at
KERNEL_VM_BASE (0xc1000000). Really, with the current pmap there is very
little you can do to fix this.

If you read current-users@ or port-arm@, you will see that I plan to
commit changes soon which will completely fix this limitation of the
current arm32 pmap. (It will require some work in your initarm() function,
however).

Cheers, Steve

--

Wasabi Systems Inc. - The NetBSD Company - http://www.wasabisystems.com/