Subject: Re: kernel books?
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/2003 11:22:21
At 18:00 Uhr +0930 15.4.2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Sunday, 13 April 2003 at 23:44:20 +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>> I've got Egan/Teixeira: "Writing a Unix Device Driver" (ISBN 0-471-53574-5)
>> here which covers 4.3BSD along with SVR4. You may want to take a close look
>> at it, though, before buying - I didn't really like it.
>
>That's *really* old.

As is 4.3BSD.  ;)

>My copy is written in 1998, and I don't think it got reissued.

As I said, it was of limited value to me.

>>> If you're thinking of anything modern there's only one so far as I know:
>>>
>>> "UNIX Internals:  The New Frontiers"
>>> Uresh Vahalia
>>> Prentice Hall, 1996
>>> ISBN 0-13-101908-2
>>
>> That one, on the other hand, I can strongly recommend. It's good to read,
>> and I've learned a lot from it.
>
>It's pretty good, but it won't help you learn to write a device
>driver.

It'll help to understand the concepts behind what you see in the NetBSD
kernel sources. "Every little bit helps."

>Sadly, I have nothing to recommend.

I've got a German "How to write a NetBSD device driver" authored by Jochen
Kunz in front of me. Wait a few weeks, and you can proof-read the
translation.  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign