Subject: Re: In-kernel symbol table + /dev/ksyms
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/07/2003 13:52:51
>While searching in some old code I had I found a dusty implementation
>of an in-kernel symbol table manager + a /dev/ksyms implementation.
>I think this would be a good step towards a better handling of loadable
>kernel modules.
>
>This adds two files to the kernel:
>sys/kern/kern_ksyms.c
>sys/sys/ksyms.h

yay!

>This will mostly affect DDB, in that DDB's own symtab handling is removed
>and replaced with this. Also, the a.out support in DDB goes away fully,
>but I do not consider that as a problem.
>
>The /dev/ksyms interface presents an ELF file with only symtab and
>strtab segments in it.  It works well to do things like "gdb /dev/ksyms"
>+ "target kcore /dev/mem" to play with a live system.

am i to presume from this that /dev/ksyms would properly "export" the
real symbol table from kernel, and not a simple list of "this symbol
is wrapped in this macro which makes it get stuffed into the list of
symbols that /dev/ksyms exports"?

also...will it dynamically add (or delete) symbols from lkms as they
are loaded (or unloaded)?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."