Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: None <tech-embed@netbsd.org>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2003 21:32:30
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:17:20AM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> >
> > RedBoot loads NetBSD fine.  What I suspect Kyle might have been
> > talking about, though, is a BSD-licensed boot loader that shares
> > code with NetBSD and which can be included more seamlessly in the
> > development and (in perhaps a reduced form) in the final product.
> > There are a few different boot loaders out there with different
> > licenses on them and with differing platform support, but nothing
> > that fits this bill.
>
> FWIW the LinuxBIOS project started with the FreeBIOS code.  FreeBIOS was
> apparently code from 'Net Insight AB' written to boot NetBSD on the STPC
> Consumer.  By now the LinuxBIOS project has purged most of the original
> code, but presumably someone could start another project based on the
> original freebios code.

I have a BIOS implementation that I wrote on contract to Dynarc AB, and
which is released under a BSD license. It only works on ASUS P5A
motherboards /w K6 CPU, but should be trivial to port to other boards
and other CPUs.

The source, if anyone is interested, can be found at
ftp://bakfull.campus.luth.se/bios/nbsd-bios.tar.gz

-- Ragge