Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2003 15:22:32
What do you call it when you lose a ton of money in the stock market?
Answer: Adventures in Capitalism

At 09:28 03/04/2003 +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>what i'm scared the most in computer market are people that think this
>way.

The problem comes from those who buy, not those who sell:-p

>As for speed/power/..., some examples that come to mind:
>- Effnet used (dunno if they still do) to sell "fast routers" running
NetBSD.
>- NetApps use a modified FreeBSD for their appliances.
>- Cisco are supporting Linux in many places.
>- ...
Im not sure if my NDA allows me to be verbose about this - but it is a fact
that plenty of networking cos in bay area have *bsd on their gear (they
prefer bsd coz of its non-GPL license). some use linux (and Im not sure how
they deal with the license).
but freeware usage != minimal footprint or even suitability for the gear.
something to do with "why buy when you can get it free".
regards
-kamal