Subject: RE: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: None <kyle.unice@L-3com.com>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2003 15:13:24
What do you call it when you lose a ton of money in the stock market?
Answer: Adventures in Capitalism

>NetBSD is an excellent operating system... but there are some improvments
>make it fit better in the embedded space:
>1. Journaled flash file system

think a journaled filesystem is a misfit for an embedded device in the
first place.
further all the more so on a  flash device which has little space compared
to a hard disk.

>2. Ability to enable very small kernel configurations ( this exists
somewhat
>today )

IIUC- the size in bytes that netbsd kernel amounts to is not the least
possible primarily because the OS code is divided into a minimal
machine-dependent (possibly with some assembly) portion and a machine
independent (C code) portion. re:- code _leftin_ vs _putin_ -yeah it makes
sense to leave it there to ease upgrades -but the more the no. of distinct
directories into which the kernel is organized (with a corresponding config
option) -the easier it will be to remove code from the final footprint. re:
- working on the swapper, Im overworked in my current job and it doesn't
involve netbsd kernel work (on an embedded device).so I cannot attempt that
stuff.

>3. Multithreading (native pthreads support)
think there is an _SA branch with LWP support.

>4. BSD equivalent of Redboot
redboot is (a low-level slip/ethernet mechanism) used to load the OS -so Im
not sure why redboot cannot be enhanced to load netbsd (if it doesn't).

regards
-kamal