Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2003 08:38:55
In Message <200304030637.BAA06254@Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> ,
   der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

=>>> I [...] asked, "Why a full blown OS instead of some smaller
=>>> real-time thing?"
=>>> He replied, "because a megabyte of RAM only costs $1."
=>> it makes sense not to put in code that is never going to be used.
=>
=>Yes.  But it also makes sense not to bother cutting code that is never
=>going to be used, if the cost of preserving it is lower than the cost
=>of cutting it.

   One possible exception, as I understand it, would be safety
critical systems. I'm told that guidelines for certification of
these systems specifies that there should be no dead code left in
when it is deployed. There are ways to get around the issue, but
it is still there.

   Not that I know anyone who is planning to use NetBSD in a safety
critical system, of course. I'm just throwing out a point of
information.

					Gary Duzan