Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/2003 10:11:23
> by removing file-system directives.  Some other subsystems (eg: the
> SV-compatible IPC stuff, LKMs, most compat modules, DDB, most device
> drivers, IPsec, probably others) can also be removed at config time.
>
> Other subsystems cannot be (eg: AF_LOCAL sockets, the VFS
> infrastructure, UVM, probably others).

how much did you managed to cut down kernel size?

my best results are about 900kB. includes only FFS+softdep, pppd, wd, pc
console, ep, pci, com, lpt, inet

assuming ethernet only device without wd and softdeps, pppd, routing and
pci, com, lpt i think i will go down to 800kB.

no more.

that's code size, then very well cut down program set assume 1MB, so
1.8MB+ 1-2MB data size for both counts to 4MB.

this assumes userland code can be mapped directly from md ramdisk, which
is not in case. this add extra 1MB or degrades speed.

so 5MB on i386.

"quite" large for embedded systems