Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2003 13:24:28
             "Kamal R Prasad" <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com> said:

> I believe a monolithic kernel cannot be one size fits all.

>Not really.
>Usually, the microkernel approach requires more memory footprint
>and more CPU power than the monolithic kernel approach, if it achieves
>same functionality. Because microkernels require explicit IPC, and
>such IPC takes more instructions and CPU cycles than usual function
>call.

> if there is an attempt to break it up into several modules, people
> using it in different embedded devices will be able to much better
> port it to their needs.

> Well, one can always use config(8) for that purpose.
that may not serve the purpose for an embedded device which may not have
all the facilities of a workstation and/or need all facilities available in
unix.
can you actually remove the swapper and/or some major subsystems using
config?
dont think you can. and a modular approach will suffice in that respect.
regards
-kamal

--
soda