Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/27/2003 22:11:46
	"Kamal R Prasad" <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com> said:

> I believe a monolithic kernel cannot be one size fits all.

Not really.
Usually, the microkernel approach requires more memory footprint
and more CPU power than the monolithic kernel approach, if it achieves
same functionality. Because microkernels require explicit IPC, and
such IPC takes more instructions and CPU cycles than usual function
call.

> if there is an attempt to break it up into several modules, people
> using it in different embedded devices will be able to much better
> port it to their needs.

Well, one can always use config(8) for that purpose.
--
soda