Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2003 16:02:14
On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:48:29PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > anyway - there should be not a problem to cut down netbsd to 2MB flash
> > > with a little work
> >
> > FWIW, I'm planning on submitting a paper to BSDCon 2003 about using
> > NetBSD in a "miniature" (your term -- I used different terminology to
> > describe it :-) environment.
>
> i don't say it's not possible. i just say it's inefficient. i think having
> any OS at all isn't good idea for that things.

You guys may still not be talking about the same thing.  The
usefulness of NetBSD in some environments certainly doesn't make
sense.  What I would call "miniature" environments are not really
good places for it, but it always really depends on what your needs
and resources are.  It's not worth trying to define here.

I think the original question has been answered--there are a number
of companies using NetBSD in various embedded environments, but
not all companies doing this bother to brag about it or even mention
it.  Some of the "embedded" environments are more powerful than
the average desktop or workstation, some are much less powerful.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/