Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_=C4ngg=E5rd?= <erik.anggard@packetfront.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2003 18:06:00
Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>anyway my opinion is that any unix, even as good as NetBSD, shouldn't be
>used in embedded environments, as it's just not designed for it!!!
>
>unix is for workstations and servers, able to do lots of work in parallel,
>handle lots of concurrent traffic etc.., not doing few simple things.
>
>yes it can do simple things, but on oversized hardware, unless you wan't
>to say that 8-16MB RAM, 100MIPS CPU and megs of flash isn't oversized
>hardware for MP3 player.

I agree with you that for many embedded applications a full-blown OS
such as NetBSD would be a waste of resources. But I also think your
definition of embedded systems is a bit narrow. There are many embedded
systems that are doing more than "simple things". For example we bought
a fancy printer for the office a while ago, it turns out it runs NetBSD.
We use NetBSD in one of our products, an access switch/router, and it
works very well for us. Sure, our system has a 300MHz CPU, 64MB RAM and
8MB flash but I still classify it as an embedded system (it's definitely
not a workstation nor a server).

/Erik